Maine Behavioral Health Workforce Development Collaborative is sharing the good work OUT Maine is doing to increase the tools for providers supporting LGBTQ youth
Maine's lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning (LGBTQ) youth are at very high risk. With high Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACES) scores, these Maine youth:
- Are being bullied regularly (8 out of 10)
- Have 3 to 4 times the suicidal thoughts and actions of their heterosexual peers
- Make up 25 to 40 percent of Maine's homeless teens
- Have a high risk of skipping school and dropping out
- Have much higher substance usage than their heterosexual peers
Having a high number of ACES (physical, sexual and emotional abuse, and neglect are only a few these youth encounter too much of the time) means that these youth have poor potential for productive, healthy futures. OUT Maine is calling on organizations and individuals to act to help the state's youth - our children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, neighbors, students, and friends.