OUT Maine is a youth-driven organization, but it would not be possible to keep our doors open without the presence of adult volunteers.
We need many different types of volunteers to help OUT suceed. Here are just a few examples:
- Are you interested in helping in the office? Stuffing mailings, doing data entry, addressing envelopes, helping with projects.
- Do you like to bake? We love when someone bakes cookies or provides other snacks for youth group, parents group, a training, or fundraiser. You can do this just once or multiple times.
- Do you like to host parties? Host a Friendraiser - have a brunch or dessert party at your home, invite friends to spend time together, outreach from OUT with the focus of increasing sustaining donors.
- Hosting a community awareness event. This is a great way for organizations like the Rotary, Library, a Church group or other community based organization to support youth.
- Transporting youth to/from youth events.
- Being a second adult or back up adult for a youth event like youth group, movie nights, over nights, youth policy board, etc.
Adult youth volunteers are people aged 24 and over, of proven responsibility, integrity, and commitment to meeting the needs of LGBTQ youth. They serve as guides, teachers, resource persons, sympathetic listeners, supporters, and advocates for young people who turn to OUT. They take responsibility for the safety and security of OUT activities and their participants. In cooperation with OUT youth, they develop and guide educational, social, and recreational programs.
Youth volunteers do not make basic decisions about OUT direction or activities, but work with young people to make the best decisions for the group. Youth volunteers are expected to behave toward young people at all times as responsible adults. The needs of the young people who are OUT youth are always the adults' first consideration.
If you wish to become a youth volunteer, you will be contacted for an interview. After this meeting, we will conduct a criminal background check in order to protect our youth. Upon satisfactory completion of the background check, you may be asked to attend a youth meeting. Final acceptance rests on OUT's staff and the current volunteer team.
Please complete our volunteer form if you are interested in volunteering with OUT Maine.
If you have questions please contact Sue Campbell, Program Director at email@example.com or call at (800) 530-6997